Monday, December 14, 2009

Dramatic Pause

So, a new week, a new set of experiences. My day was, amazingly enough, fairly uneventful. I did, however, have a "fun" chat with the detainee who I sent to the Hospital on Friday. It seems that Einstein decided that eating dog poop, barely breathing and withdrawing from "a pretty good high," didn't need medical attention, so he AMA'd from the ER upon arrival. Lucky for me, spending the weekend with "the shakes," and having constant supervision put him in a spiritual mood this AM, and we proceeded to have the following conversation.
Me: "You know, that stuff will kill you. You're actually really lucky that you didn't die over the weekend."
Dude: "Well, I'm done with that, I'm swearing off of all of it - I mean, I'll submit to random drug tests or anything. You know why?"
Me: "Why is that?"
Dude: "Because I've been praying, and I told God that if he got me out of here, I'd stop."
Me: "Well, while I believe that God can do anything, you also have to take responsibility for your own health."
Dude: "All I know is that my daddy told God the same thing, and when he was driving drunk one time, he hit a telephone pole. It crashed into the passenger seat...where I had been sitting FIVE MINUTES BEFORE."
Me: "God does work in mysterious ways. Have a good day."

After that thrilling encounter, I headed to the county clinic, where I saw one patient. And read lots of Angels and Demons, which is actually pretty good. Next, after a quick lunch with the wife and daughter, I began my afternoon at Disability Physicals by helping a patient get her wheelchair out of the trunk of her 4-Runner. While that in itself is nothing too bizarre, the other articles in her trunk were: Kitty litter, three containers of motor oil, anti-freeze and a box of donuts. Apparently, if she were to get stuck in the ice or run out of oil (?) she wouldn't go hungry. The remainder of the afternoon went without too much drama, and the majority of people actually showed up. All in all, a pretty good day.

And now, the disability quote(s) of the day:

Me: "So tell me why you can't work."
Clamaint: "I was having a great day off. Then I had a stroke."

"Sometimes I get so angry that I want to kill myself. Or my dad. Or the neighbor. Ah, maybe I'll just blow up the dog. Or this building."

Have a good one,

-DD

No comments:

Post a Comment