Sunday, December 6, 2009

In the Beginning...

Much like any social situation, this blog calls for an introduction. I'm an Osteopathic Physician who graduated from medical school in 2008, with every intention of pursuing residency training in Obstetrics and Gynecology. After completing my intern year at a major University Hospital, I left my program due to ethical conflicts with the way patient care was being managed. Currently I'm in the process of waiting for another residency spot to open, and such have been working as a contracted general practioner since July of 2009. I have four jobs from which I draw the majority of the subject material for this Blog. Not only will I relate some funny stories and interesting medical tidbits, but I hope to bring light to the way in which (some) doctors think when approaching their patients. This is not a definitive look at the medical profession, but it is, at least in my mind, a unique one.


My current work schedule involves performing disability physicals for Social Security, seeing patients at the Juvenile Detention Center, and staffing an urgent care clinic for low-income people. I also teach at a local medical school in the Osteopathic Manipulation Department.

I should note that I have been called both cavalier and irreverent in my views on doctoring. While that may be true, I care very deeply about my patients, and consider myself their advocate. If something I say offends you, I apologize - it is not my intention to belittle anyone, their condition or their beliefs. I will say, however, that medicine is a dirty business, and that to survive the horrors that medical professionals deal with daily, some develop a rather unique sense of humor.

Now that I've explained a little about myself, as well as what you can expect from these musings, let me give you an example of the type of patient I routinely see while performing disability physicals. The building in which I perform these exams was probably constructed in the early 70's, and has not been updated since. My office is a 12 x 9 cinderblock room, with two dirty, poorly insulated windows and faux-wood wainscoting that wraps around the perimeter. Disability exams usually consist of me asking "What's keeping you from working?" followed the patient giving me a speech on how everything from their childhood history to yesterday's lunch affects their daily lives. About 20% of the people I see should qualify for disability. 60% of the rest probably have something wrong with them, but "back pain that happens if I stand more than two hours," or "getting too hot when I work in front of the furnace" does not require government support. The remaining 20% are the people that think they should get free money because "my left breast swells if I eat hamburger," or they "just can't swing a rake no more after cleaning that mop."

Unfortunately, I don't get to say whether or not the claimants get disability, I just report what I find. It is my sincerest hope, however, that my tax dollars are not going towards paying a monthly check for someone who "can't work where there's air."

I'll be adding stories as they happen, so check back often!

-Disillusioned Doctor

No comments:

Post a Comment