Monday, June 7, 2010

Reading time

Good Monday! I hope everyone had a good weekend. It was a little stressful around my household, but all-in-all, things went pretty well. I’ll give you a little update on the wife before we venture into the sordid mess that is disability land. Overall she’s doing fairly well. She was diagnosed with subclinical hyperthyroidism in the hospital (which explains the cardiac arrhythmias and feelings of shortness of breath), and is having a follow up appointment/blood test with her doctor later this week. Depending on what her lab values show, as well as her symptoms, she may or may not be placed on medication. I’ll keep you all updated as time progresses. Anyway, onwards!

I’ve been seeing a lot of “continuing disability review” claimants recently. Maybe it’s that time of year, maybe it’s the weather, I don’t know, but it seems like at least two or three claimants a day are individuals who are on disability that are in need of their “yearly check-up.” As banal as these reviews are, it does give me an interesting perspective into what conditions are “good enough” to receive a monthly check. You would think that there would be a good amount of variance in the diseases that warrant disability, but you would be wrong. First of all, I have yet to see someone whose main complaint was/is low back pain. In fact, the majority of continuing review claimants have a “mental disability,” most of which, in my opinion, are often dubious at best. We’ll use a patient that came in earlier today for an example.

First a little background. One of the main differences between this office and the place I used to work is the way in which the space is set up. We have a central waiting room, with three exams room and a secretary’s office surrounding it. Due to the way my door opens, I am able to observe a large number of our patients before they’re seen, and can watch them interact with each other, our secretary, and the old copies of Good Housekeeping my wife found for our office reading material. At the old office, however, my back was to the waiting area, and I couldn’t observe the claimants at all. Now, the gentleman I’m discussing looked like your “typical” disability patient, and was wearing the newest in summer fashion - a ratty tank-top, tight jean shorts, knee high tube socks and flip-flops (or thongs, as my mother would say). His hair was unkempt, dirty, and he said, flipping through the Good Housekeeping magazines, his beady eyes tracking the play of words on the page. He then went on to discuss the subject of the article with his companion, and they had an animated conversation about dinner rolls or something along those lines. I reviewed his chart, and it read “Continuing Disability Review – claimant has ‘mental issues.’” Alrighty, that’s specific. Anyway, I called him back, and after a little questioning, he stated that he was on disability because he “couldn’t read good.” I thought about asking him if he couldn’t do other things good as well, but figured the reference would be lost on him. Anyway, he stated that he never progressed past an 8th grade reading level, and although he had graduated high school, he couldn’t keep a job because he couldn’t read well enough, Now I’m no expert on reading, but can’t most people in the 8th grade read well enough to, oh, I don’t know, do construction? Or lawn care? Or politics? Regardless, he was otherwise totally healthy. Furthermore, he had not done anything productive with his disability money – look for a job, further educate himself, etc. He did however remark that he smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day, drank every weekend, and had a nice vacation in Mexico last month.

I know I’ve talked about this before, but it really irritates me. You and I are sacrificing a portion of our income so that people who are less fortunate can get by with day-to-day living. I’m fine with that, Lord knows there are tons of people out there who need that $400 check more than I do. What I’m not fine with is people who use their “disability” to avoid working, smoke cigarettes and go on vacation. Now, maybe he has a wealthy family or spouse, or maybe he took his hard-earned disability money and got lucky playing slots, I don’t know. The fact of the matter is that that money is not going towards what it should be, namely helping these people get off disability (if possible), and back into the work force. I’m sure you could make the same argument about Welfare, but I’m not going to go there…today. Anyway, I later found out that this gentleman, from a medical standpoint, was found to be not disabled. He appealed it, however, and an Administrative Law judge granted him disability. I mean, why do I even do this if my recommendations, along with the expert panel at social security, can just get overturned by someone with no medical experience? It makes me sick. Anyway, the moral of the story today is, if you want to get disability, don’t get injured, hire a lawyer.

Have a good rest of your day, more disability quotes tomorrow,

-DD

3 comments:

  1. I greatly enjoy your blog but I admit I have two opposing reactions during my reading. First, I agree wholeheartedly with most of your assessments and get a bit angry with those individuals trying to take advantage of a system meant for persons who have no other options.
    On the other hand, I myself am one of those people. I applied for SSDI because it was required of the agency from whom I was seeking assistance in obtaining auxiliary aids that were crucial obtaining employment. To my surprise, I qualified for SSDI; this turned out to be necessary as I was unable to find a job in this particular geographic area due to my disability.
    Technically, there is no reason why I could not do a job such as data entry or packing boxes- assuming those jobs were available. I have used this time however to pursue an education that will allow me to enter the workforce. I feel guilty receiving SSDI when I know that it is not my disability holding me back from working but the assumptions of other people. I only continue to accept it as I know that when I graduate next month, I will be able to obtain a higher level of employment that will have me paying more in taxes than I have used the past few years.
    I am grateful to think that there are people like you in the system who understand that SSDI is not necessarily an end-point but can also be used to help people become self-sufficient if they are given the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um ... for real ... what am I doing wrong because I definitely get more than $400 a month and I'm certainly not vacationing in Mexico? Please edumacate me on where I'm going wrong. Also ... I wait with bated breath for what I know will be high-larious quotes manana. Thank you for being my summertime entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, thank you both for commenting, it's great to know that people are actually reading what I write :-). As for the top comment, you bring up a valid point. A lot of employers require their employees to attempt to receive SSDI before they'll actually pay on disability, since if they do apply, that means less money out of their pockets each month. In addition, one of the services that SSDI provides to its recipients is a vocational re-training workshop of sorts, which allows the claimant to see what type of job their body will allow them to do. Unfortunately, most claimants don't use this service, and therefore never try and get back into the workforce. For people such as yourself, I have absolutely no problem giving a portion of my tax dollars so that you may receive extra education and training - in fact, I applaud it. Likewise, if a person is truly, truly disabled, I have no problems with that, either. It's the in betweeners that are ok just receiving their money and sitting on their rear-ends that really annoy me. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete